When you want to get away from it all, you don’t need to travel off into the mountains. All you need is a backyard and a little DIY know-how to make your own retreat. It doesn’t matter where you live or how big your yard (or balcony) is. With the right projects, you can revamp a boring outdoor space into your new favorite destination.
Landscaping can make all the difference between an “okay” yard and a great one. Even if you are not a lawn and tree maintenance expert, don’t despair! Here’s how to transform your yard with plants.
- The simplest way to revamp your landscaping is to lay down fresh mulch.
- Planting new things in your yard can create visual interest as well as privacy.
- Planting a garden is a fun hobby that can also beautify your backyard or patio.
- If you choose the right species of plants, you can also control bugs naturally.
- No matter what you plan on planting, be sure to check your growing zone first.
Make it Kid-Friendly
If you have a backyard, it holds countless opportunities for your kids to play. These ideas can help you create a kid-friendly space.
- If you already have climbing structures or swings, make repairs so they’re safe.
- Creating a play fort or sandbox provides endless fun for little kids.
- Building yard games like giant Jenga or connect four will offer fun for all ages.
- Getting a telescope can take your stargazing up a notch and engage kids even more.
Take Your Yard to the Next Level
A backyard can be anything you want it to be. These projects can help transform a basic yard into a true getaway.
- Host better parties by building an outdoor ice cooler out of an old fridge.
- Create your own outdoor movie theater to recreate the drive-in experience.
- Put together a grill station to up your BBQ game.
- Design a shed to store your tools and seasonal items out of the way.
- Make a water garden to bring some serenity to your porch or garden.
If your backyard or patio has seen better days, it’s time to tackle some projects to transform the space. Some projects will take a good deal of time and planning, but others can make your space look new in just one afternoon. Even if you only take on one of these projects, you’re almost guaranteed to get more use out of your deck or backyard.